All Essential Oils sold on Aromatherapy Direct are sourced directly through doTERRA, coming from their natural habitats around the world. We choose to partner with doTERRA due to the level of quality control attributed to every batch which is sold as well as the sustainable initiative, working with growers from around the world.
Essential oil purity matters. If you use an oil that has been adulterated, contaminated, or loaded with synthetic fillers, you will not receive the full natural benefit of the plant. And in some cases, low-quality oils can even be dangerous and pose serious threats to your health.
When you use pure, unadulterated essential oils, they’ll be more effective, and you can stay within the bounds of safe use.
Factors that Impact Essential Oil Quality
- Plant quality: Does the company use high-quality plants to produce their essential oils? Are the plants grown in the right conditions with the right farming practices?
- Production practices: Does the company have safety procedures in place to guard against contamination during the production process? Are oils adulterated or are synthetic fillers added to cut costs?
- Testing methods: Does the company test each batch of essential oil? Is impartial, third-party testing used? Are test results available to the public?
- Storage and handling: Are the oils carefully processed, packaged, and stored to avoid chemical alterations caused by exposure to heat or light? (Amber bottles are typically the best option for essential oil storage.)
Every batch of Essential Oils sold from doTERRA goes through the following testing to ensure the bottle of Essential Oil you purchase is as pure as possible.
- Organoleptic testing
- Microbial testing
- Gas chromatography
- Mass spectrometry
- Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Chirality testing
- Isotopic analysis
- Heavy metal testing
Many essential oils on the market are heavily contaminated or adulterated with synthetic chemicals, and given minimal regulation, this is often hard to spot. If you’re buying essential oils, it means you want something completely natural and safe. Make sure that you don’t inadvertently buy something you think is natural but turns out to be synthetic.
All Essential Oils purchased from Aromatherapy Direct are sourced from their natural habitat. Pink Pepper Essential Oil for instance is distilled from the sustainably-sourced berries of the pink peppercorn tree that is native to the Andes Mountains in Northern Peru